Thursday, November 15, 2012

Frankenstein (Blog 4)
By: Mary Shelley


This creature is starting to become extremely odd to me.  He conveniently shows up wherever Victor Frankenstein is.  How does he always know where his creator is?!  In chapter 7, Victor found the creature at the spot where William Frankenstein was murdered.  Victor's discovery of the monster in chapter 10 was even more strange in my opinion.  Alphonse, Elizabeth, and Victor went to their house in Belrive to hopefully lift Victor's depressed spirits.  I would have thought that the Frankenstein family could enjoy a trip together without seeing anyone that they knew.  This assumption was obviously proven wrong, though.  Victor climbed to the top of a mountain, and he saw someone or something on the opposite side of it.  Trying to get a better look at what it is, Victor realizes that it's his creation.  "I was troubled: a mist came over my eyes, and I felt a faintness seize me; but I was quickly restored by the cold gale of the mountains.  I perceived, as the shape came nearer (sight tremendous and abhorred!) that it was the wretch whom I had created" (Shelley, 68).  Right when Victor recognizes that it is his monster, he is terrified and angry.  I was surprised at the creature's actions towards Victor, though.  He tries to tell Victor to go with him to a cave where a fire is going.  Victor agrees to go, and the monster tells his creator his "tale."  I am interested in reading the monster's story.  This is mainly because I want to see how he always knows where Victor is.  Also, I am curious to find out what the monster's been up to and if he really did murder William.

No comments:

Post a Comment